Tuesday, January 23, 2007

This Weekend

I won't bore you with everything we did this weekend. Mostly just checked out some new stores: Ikea, Kika (think Bed, Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things, 1/2 of Babies 'R Us, a furniture store and more all rolled up into one) and Tescos. Only two events are note worthy enough to write about:

Church on Saturday
We were able to find out that Sacred Heart Church has an English Mass on Saturdays at 5:00pm and it's only 1 subway stop away from the hotel. The church itself was beautiful...sort of like St. Patrick's in Troy but on a smaller scale.
Taken as a whole, the experience itself was...I hesitate to use the phrase "a nightmare" for fear of being struck by lightning...let's just say it was sub par. Read on.
Katie was wonderful. She did her best to be quiet and even semi-participated in mass which I think is good for a 5 yr old.
Let's talk about VJ. In his defense, the situation and setting really worked against him. If he behaved the same way at St. Laurence in Sugar Land, he would have received a solid "Good." 2 yr olds really can't be quiet for that long (we got there like 15 minutes before mass...mass itself lasted ~50-55 minutes). And the boy can not remember to whisper. In one sentence he will whisper and then the next he forgets and talks REALLY LOUD. He is also, what my mother would call, an "itch-ass." He can't stay still. At St. Laurence, with 1000+ people (including other kids) at mass, carpeting and cushioned kneelers none of the above would really be a problem. However at Sacred Heart where the church is much older (I gotta say at least 100+ yrs old), with old, warped, non-cushioned wooden benches that make huge amounts of noise against the non-carpeted wooden floor only like 50 people (no kids) any shenanigans, no matter how mild, really stand out.
But here's what really put the cherry on top of this experience: 5 minutes into mass I notice a smell. "Oh no", I think. Let me check...please no...yep that's VJ's diaper. Plus I got a weird look from the people behind us for sniffing my kids behind. Whatever.

Luckily, we got a line on a Church with an English Mass that's closer to where we will be living.

My first Hungarian Haircut
Some of you may know that I get my haircut on a strict 2 week schedule. Once we reach day 15 it's like crisis time. So you can imagine my anxiousness once 2 1/2 weeks had rolled by and I hadn't had a chance to visit the barber.

As luck would have it, while we were out and about Sunday we found a haircut place that didn't look too busy. While Anna took the kids shopping, I went in and got my haircut. The guy did not speak very much English but that shouldn't be a big problem, right?
The best I can say is that at least I learned some new Hungarian. Apparently "Zero on the sides and Four on top" means "Shave all my hair off" in Hungarian.

Let's just say that it doesn't look totally horrible and leave it at that.

0 comments: