Friday, January 19, 2007

Spicy Water

OK, so somehow or other, we have been able to keep our kids away from soda. I think early tastes of Diet Coke turned them off. Even occasional future tastes of Sprite and resulted in screwed up faces and responses like "That is yucky or too spicy." I think the bubbles are what make them think it is spicy.

Well, it seems that in Budapest, people like to drink mineral water, also know as fizzy water or water with gas (Vito thinks this is funny). Which I really like and no one else does, big surprise. So, then naturally, water without bubbles is called still water or water without gas.

Right, so we get to Budapest and everyone drinks bottled water - not quite sure why as the tap water is some of the best in Europe and is way better than Houston. Well, we decide to go to buy some water and without knowing any Hungarian, try to decipher which water is which. Still or fizzy. Right so, we know from experience (lunch at McDonalds) that the blue cap is fizzy water. Therefore the green cap must be still water.

We buy the green capped water. Once we get home, we break it open and pour some for the kids. VJ takes a sip and says, it's spicy. Katie is a bit more game and takes a sip and says yum, but then she has another and says it is not good.

Flashback to breakfast in NYC when we ordered fresh pressed apple juice for VJ and it comes out cloudy. VJ takes a sip, says yum. Then Katie states that it looks gross. VJ now thinks it is gross too and won't drink anymore.

Now I am thinking that the water is fine and they are just complaining, so I take a sip. And it is gross. It is slightly fizzy, but really just high mineral content. So, not good at all. Apparently, the bottle with the pink cap is the still water. And I am the one stuck drinking the rest of the green cap water. It has taken two weeks and I am still not through the 1.5 liter bottle.

So, tonight, while we were relaxing at the hotel after dinner, Katie proceeds to play restaurant, where she tells us what is on the menu and asks what we want to eat and drink. Well, Vito orders a sub and a Diet Coke. Katie proceeds to tell him that the restaurant does not have Diet Coke, only milk and still water.

I look at Vito and we laugh. Our kids are adjusting just fine!

1 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Yay!!! Anna's first post. Welcome to blogging.

Of course, your writing style is so similar to Vito's that it wasn't until the "I looked at Vito..." comment that I realized that he wasn't the one writing the post.

Anyways, good to hear everyone is adjusting. In "Notting Hill" (btw, all my knowledge of European life comes from movies or TV, so humor me), Alec Baldwin's character thinks Hugh Grant's character is the room service guy and asks "Could you bring me some ice-cold still water? Unless of course it's illegal in Europe to serve water below room temperature. I wouldn't want you to go to jail on my account". So I guess warm fizzy water is the norm? Gross.