Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Guilt Trips & New House pics

We got the keys to the house today. I was able to take a few pictures (see below) before the camera died. Not too bad considering I hadn't charged it since before we sold the house. If everything falls our way we should be able to schedule delivery of our stuff for Thurs or Fri (early next week for sure).

After picking up Katie from school today, VJ, Katie & I went out to the new house to drop some stuff off. I had several "interesting" conversations with Katie. "Interesting" being defined in this case as my stopping and double checking that, yes, she is indeed still only 5 and how did she learn to give me a guilt trip and/or bust on me.

Conversation #1
Katie and VJ are talking in the back and Katie is telling him what a big boy he is and how he has a birthday coming up. She stops and says to me:
Katie: "So let me get this straight. He has no friends so it will just be the four of us at his party."
Me: "Uh..."
Katie: "Because he has no friends over here, right?"
VJ: "That will be so sad."
Me: "Uh..." I manage to convince them that we will still have fun at his party even if it's only the four of us. Crisis averted but a little guilt for me.

Conversation #2
Out of the blue, Katie says:
Katie: "Are you glad you have kids?"
Me: "What?!"
Katie: "I said, Are you glad you have kids?" She helpfully annunciates the words extra clearly since I am apparently having trouble understanding English.
Me: "Of course I am. I love you and VJ and Mommy and I are so glad we have kids. What makes you ask that?"
Katie: "I was just thinking about it."
Me: more stuff about how they are great and we love them
Katie: "Before you had me, you didn't have any kids."
Me: "That's right."
Katie: "Did you have fun?"
Me: "Well, mommy and I did different stuff for fun." and I prepared to continue on with how we didn't get to go to Chuck E. Cheese's and stuff like that to show how we have more fun now but she interrupts with:
Katie: "Because you didn't have anyone to yell at?"
What brought this guilt trip on? I hadn't yelled all afternoon. So I had to explain that sometimes we yell to teach them, especially if they are not being safe blah, blah, blah.

Now, I'm really looking for this ride to be over with but I have to stop at the grocery store and so I tell them this.

Conversation #3
Katie: "What do we have to get?"
Me: "Just beer."
Katie: "What, did you drink all the beer you bought yesterday?"
I glance back to make sure my mom wasn't hiding in the back seat doing the talking.
Me: "Well, your mother did drop one bottle and it broke."
Katie: "So you and mommy drank 3 bottles."
Me: "Yes." But we were in before curfew...what the hell? Why was my daughter channeling my mother?

Luckily, VJ fell asleep in the car after we left the store so I convinced Katie we had to be quiet so he could sleep.

Here are some pictures of the new house:

VJ's bedroom with Jungle Book mural.

There are three bedrooms at the top of the stairs. VJ's is on the right, ours in the middle and Katie's to the left (not pictured). Each room has it's own bathroom complete with shower stall (ours has a tub too).

Here's the view from Katie's room. You can see some of the other houses in our complex and how the woods are all around us. Our house is yellow, but otherwise looks just like these.

2 comments:

Mom Price said...

very nice pictures of the house. I am very impresssed.

Lisa Marie said...

The house is beautiful. Where is my bedroom for when I come to visit?

These conversations with the kids are killing me. I shouldn't read this when I'm in a meeting with 30 people.

With Katie and the sarcasm...YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW, my friend