Saturday, April 21, 2007

New Microwave

We finally took the time and went and bought a microwave. So far I can report that it makes delicious popcorn!

I was reading the instruction manual that came with it and decided that it should be called "Microwaving for Dummies." Here's a few examples:

  • Do not dry clothes in the microwave oven. They may become carbonized or burned if heated too long.
What jackass tried to dry their clothes in the microwave? And you just know that someone did and sued the manufacturer for not explicitly stating "Hey morons, this is not a dryer."
  • Do not use the oven for drying kitchen towels or paper products. They may burn.
We can guess that this was the aforementioned jackass' idiot cousin that caused "dish towels" to have a separate entry from "clothes."
  • Do not attempt deep fat frying in your microwave oven.
Now we know why microwaves aren't as popular in the South (or Hungary based on our experiences with restaurants).
  • Do not cook eggs in their shell. Pressure will build up inside the egg which will burst.
This one is a bit of a Catch-22. On the one hand you want to warn the idiots off, but on the other hand it just gives them ideas. Besides, it's an egg. How bad of an explosion could it be?

As I typed the previous sentence it came to me that YouTube just HAD to have something to satisfy our curiosity and sure enough: Exploding Microwave Just turn the sound off so you don't have to listen to the rocket scientists.

3 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Do you remember when we were at RPI some sick SOB microwaved a kitten or something in one of the microwaves in the Rathskellar? That's one of the top predictors of serial killers I think. But people will microwave just about anything. From what Anna said before about the inefficiency of your special European dryer, I might be tempted to microwave my clothes too.

Vito said...

No, I don't remember that but thanks for the image. Actually you reminded me that I once puked on my microwave in college. The touchpad never worked right again.

Aunt Liz said...

Vito: I so enjoy reading you blog.

Lisa Marie: I soooo enjoy your response.