Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Conversations from Hell

So the kids and I were on our way to pick up Anna from work (2nd car was delayed, but we pick it up tomorrow)and we had a conversation that, by the end of it, I just wanted to bang my head on the windshield...all the more so since I was the one who had started it!

We were going over the Arpad Hid (Hid = Bridge) which spans the Danube. In the middle of the bridge it crosses over the ?northern? tip of Margaret Island which effectively splits the river in two. Traffic was wretched (as usual) and I was able to look out and see several row boats, you know, from like a rowing club. I called it "crewing."

Me: "Look at the boats. Do you see them."
Katie: "Yes. What are they."
Me: "That's called crewing. They are rowing the boats with oars."
Katie: "Why?"
Me: "It's a sport. They are racing."
Katie: "Why are they racing?"
Me: "Because That's what they do. It's a sport."
Katie: "Like Soccer?"
Me: "Yes."
Katie: "What if someone had a motor boat?"
Me: Laughing "No Katie. They all use oars."
VJ: "Mickey has oars."
Me: "Really VJ?"
VJ: "Yes he did. And Goofy too. On the TV." (I should note that we haven't actually seen 'The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse' since before we left the States.)
Katie: "I think someone could use a motor boat."
Me: "OK." I just wanted the conversation to end.

By this time, we made it to the middle of the bridge and were therefore passing through the tip of Margaret Island so the boat conversation died down. However, as we got past the island I saw some more boats on this side of the river, but they were kayaks this time.

Me: "Look, there's some kay..."
Katie: "What?"
Me: "Nothing. Never mind." What the hell was I thinking? Did I not just learn anything?

0 comments: