Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Kindergarten Report Card

So basically, my daughter is a Genius. Again, the teacher never comes right out and says that so as to not inflate Katie's ego, but I can read between the lines.

Katie got all "S's" on her report card. In kindergarten they don't give out A's, B's or C's. It's basically are you getting it (S) or do you still need some time (some other letter that I didn't pay attention to since, as I may have mentioned, she got all "S's").

Today Anna, Katie & I met with some of Katie's teachers and Katie led us in some activities to show what she does at school. We watched Katie do a puzzle where she had to match up words that rhymed. She showed us how she can recognize and make patterns, took us through the alphabet and made some cool shapes with rubber bands.

Actually, Katie's teacher said she is doing very well both with her school work and socially, making lots of friends in the class. I can actually see that when I drop her off for school each morning. Picture Norm Peterson walking into Cheers (Norm!) and you get the picture.

We also visited with the Music, Art and Hungarian Culture/Language teachers and reviewed what was going on in those classes as well.

Where was VJ during all of this? Katie's school is so cool. They provided teachers/teaching assistants to watch any siblings while the parents and student were in their conference so they could concentrate on that. VJ did great when I dropped him off in the room. They had a table for coloring, puzzles and a video tape going. When I went back to pick him up (about 75 minutes later) I was told (by him) that I had to wait until he was done playing (he had to finish a puzzle he was working on). This only reinforced our feeling that he is missing school, so we will be looking for a preschool for him to go to (for at least part of the week).

0 comments: