Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Return to the Budapest Zoo

So the kids and I visited the Budapest Zoo again today. Knowing where I was going helped and we didn't get lost at all. I also knew enough about the parking situation to get there EARLY so all was good.

The Zoo opens at 9:00am and we got there at 9:20 hoping to beat the heat (again, nothing compared to Houston heat but still). Before we left the car I put sunscreen on the kids. The only thing worse than getting VJ's haircut is putting sunscreen on him. You would think that the main ingredient was acid the way he carries on sad. After he was done it was Katie's turn. She asked why he got to stay in his car seat but she had to get out of the car to which I responded that it was easier to get the sunscreen on him while he was strapped down in.

We had these conversations at the zoo:

VJ: "I'm hungry. I want a hot dog."
Me: "It's too early for lunch, VJ. It's not even 10 o'clock yet."
Katie: "Ya, VJ. 'Berenstein Bears' are not even on yet."

A sign that they watch too much TV? I mean it's OK to tell what day it is by what's on that night (for example: Hey, I'm watching 'NCIS' tonight so it must be Tuesday) but telling time by the TV schedule, half-hour by half-hour, is a bit much.

*******

As we pass a playground in the zoo.
VJ: "Can we play at the playground?"
Katie: "We came to the zoo to see the animals, not to play at the playground. Right Daddy?"
(I actually said this the last time we were here. Good memory.)
*******

VJ makes some pitiful-feel-sorry-for-me noise.
Me: "What wrong VJ?"
VJ: "My legs are tired."
Katie: "There's going to be a lot of walking at Disney World and if you cry and carry on we'll have to go home."

It's funny to hear my words coming out of Katie's mouth. At least it shows she's paying attention.

Some pictures. You can see then all at our Kodak Gallery site.

We went into the petting zoo area and Katie promptly got nervous of anything with horns after seeing two goats butting heads. I got her to go near the cows and pet them but was able to catch this picture as the cow decided to quickly turn 180 degrees getting a scream out of Katie.
Me: "VJ, pet the baby goat."
VJ: (distrustful soul that he is) "No, you first Daddy."


1:20pm...do you know where your kids are?

I think these pictures show that we had a pretty good morning.

1 comments:

Mom Price said...

It is neat to see the pictures you post - the kids with an elephant, the kids with an alligator (with big teeth), and the kids with with a horned steer. Is there some subliminal message there?