Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Tale of Two Vito's

So VJ has finally wrapped his head around the concept that both he and I are named Vito.

He has known for some time that his name is Vito and that Mommy has a "real" name but he had trouble recognizing that he and Daddy shared a name.

This is a conversation we had back in Texas:

Me: "VJ, who's this?" (I point to Katie)
VJ: "Katie."
Me: "And who's this?" (pointing to Anna)
VJ: "Mommy."
Me: "And what's Mommy's real name?"
VJ: "Anna."
Me: "And who am I?"
VJ: "Daddy."
Me: "And what's my real name?"
VJ: "Daddy."
Me: "Yes, I'm Daddy, but what's my real name? What does Mommy call me?"
VJ: "Com'ere Daddy."

OK, so you have to give the kid points for being perceptive.

Me: "No, my name is Vito, too. Just like you."
VJ: "No, I'm Vito. You Daddy."

Some time in the past month the light went on and he grasped that we had the same name. Now he likes to say to me "We're Vito's" which just makes me feel so terrific.

I think he is also realizing that Vito is the best name ever. I am, however, going to have to teach him not to brag about it too much as other people may get jealous. For example, we were sitting down to dinner the other night and he says:

VJ: "Daddy, we're Vito's. I'm Vito and you're Vito.
He turns to Katie
VJ: "Not you Katie."

Katie just rolls her eyes at him and pretends that she doesn't care. But having lived with the jealousy of others over my name all my life, I can see how she's really feeling.

Here's a picture of young Vito playing with his Hot Wheels racing set. Santa brought it at Christmas but we just opened it this week. Talk about very excited.


2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

I think you just named your kid Vito so we wouldn't be able to make fun of you anymore. Because now when we slam on the Vito ridiculousness, it seems like we're being really mean to an innocent kid who didn't do anything to deserve the Mafia name his parents burdened him with.

Vito said...

So says the person that uses my name when she goes to a restaurant with a wait list. She says that it's because it's so unique (which it is) there's less confusion when they they call it out. Or could it be the preferential treatment you get when you use the name Vito?