Sunday, May 6, 2007

Olden Days

Apparently Katie thinks that I am ancient. We were playing some old Nintendo games at nintendo8.com. Katie likes "Spy Hunter" (or as she calls it "The Car Game"). I am a genius in that I've gotten my kids to not only like playing video games, but to think it's fun to watch me play them as well. Anyway, I decided to play "Gun.Smoke" and we had this conversation:

Katie: "Why do you like to play 'Gun.Smoke' ?"
Me: "Because it was Uncle Frankie's and my favorite game to play when we were growing up."
Katie: "On your computer?"
Me: "No, on our Nintendo game set. We didn't have a computer."
Katie pauses to think about that then says
Katie: "Did you have stores?"
Me: "What? What do you mean? What kind of stores?"
Katie: "You know, like, grocery stores."
Me: "Yes, Kate. We had grocery stores.
Katie: "Because you know in the olden days, people had to make their own food. Like the Indians."
Me: "Katie, Mommy and I aren't that old. Not like Grandma and Grandpa."

OK...Everything above happened as I wrote it except the Grandma and Grandpa line. I thought that up afterwards and couldn't resist adding it in.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with my mom, like 100 years ago. I was aghast when she told me that she didn't always have a TV when she was a kid and when they finally did get one it only had 3 channels. I remember looking at my Channel Changer (with the big long cord coming out of the cable box attached to the TV) with it's 26 channels and feeling sorry for my mom. Now, 100 years later, I realize that 3 - 5 channels are all you need since the rest all have garbage on anyway.

2 comments:

Mom Price said...

When the girls were young they thought I grew up with dinosaurs. So, don't feel too bad, ok.

Lisa Marie said...

What you should tell them is that they didn't have stores when Anna grew up, but they did when you grew up. I'm sure she'd really appreciate that.