Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Oil Change

How long can you REALLY go before you have to have the oil in your car changed? I know that the recommended time is every 3 months. I also know that 7 months is too long to wait to have the oil changed (in the car your grandfather gave you).

I ask because it's been 3 months since we bought the Corolla and so I made an appointment with our Toyota dealership to have the oil changed. "Made an appointment"...right there is an extra hassle. I should just be able to show up whenever I want. And certainly not at 4:00pm when my appointment was since then I have 2 kids to deal with and not just one. But alas, the English speaking receptionist was not working mornings this week. I should also mention that the Toyota Dealership is not really what one would call "close" to our house.

However, I could deal with all that on a tri-monthly basis. What I can't deal with is how much a f#*%king oil change costs! Ft 24,574! For those of you who are like "Huh?" that's about $130.00. When they handed me the bill I realized what the Plexiglas in front of the cashier's booth was really for. It's not for security...it's so that when customers puke at the sight of the bill, it doesn't splash all over the cashier.

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

Hey, as someone in the know about these things (working for a lube oil additives business), the 3-months rule is a scam perpetrated by the people who sell lube oil. If you look at your owner's manual, most now tell you the 6-months+ is fine between oild changes.

Miggle said...

I am gathering that $130 is the standard or the "Special" foreign rate. I would agree 5-6 months is fine especially your oil must be SUPER oil since they are charging you so much!