Monday, January 7, 2008

The "My Internet Connection is Back Up" Post

January 4th saw the one year anniversary of our arrival in Budapest. I had planned on posting something to mark the occasion but now, three days later, who cares. We've been here a year, we really like it, hurray for us. I have some other stuff to talk about now.

Our internet connection has been down since Friday morning. When you rely on the internet for your news of EVERYTHING that happens outside of your house it's a pretty big inconvenience when it's not available for a length of time. Anna thinks that I am more annoyed that I have no one to call and yell at about the problem than I am about the actual issue. I thought about that for a while and have concluded that she is mostly wrong. While yelling at someone would definitely make me feel better, I'd still be pissed that it took 3+ days for the internet to come back on.

****

As I was walking around the house this morning (OK I was sitting in front of the computer catching up on 3 days worth of comics news) and the house just felt different. Like something was missing. Then I realized. No one was biting my ankle going "Daddy. Daddy. DADDY!"
I haven't looked forward so much to the 1st day of school in...like...ever. As is my tradition after a long school break, I sat on my ass, surfed the internet, read my book and did absolutely no housework. OK I did vacuum and I have to make dinner in like 5 minutes but that's it. Best of all, it's Anna's turn to read the bedtime story and tuck the kids in.

****

The only challenge we had in getting the kids off to school today, other than the leftover ice from the freezing rain we had yesterday, was that my car wouldn't start. Anna and Katie did a great job over the weekend cleaning the inside of the car. But someone, and I'll name no names (OK, it was Anna), forgot to turn off the interior light after she was done. She totally redeemed herself by finding the jumper cables in our mess of a storage room. Some of you will say that she shouldn't have had to clean out my car in the first place. I agree with you. That was her choice. The state of cleanliness of the car bothers me not at all. She was the one who complained that she couldn't see out the windows, so it was really for herself that she did this.

Speaking of the freezing rain, it's always fun to get out and about after we have weather. The rule of thumb for Budapest roads is: If the road is a on a bus route, they are usually clear. The problem lies in that our house is about 1km past the last bus stop. And about 1/2 of that km is a steep hill. Once we get on to the main road it is smooth sailing to Katie's school and I turn off the main road to go up a semi steep hill. Lots of fun at the beginning and ends of our trip.

And since it's snowing right now, it should be "fun" going to school tomorrow. I think I need a drink.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Vito,
First time comment...long time reader. I gotta say funny post today. Cracked me up about what your day consists of now that the kids are at school. I'll let you go back to surfing the web and reading about the latest Brittany Spears debacle.
Joel (representing the CCH crew of Maura and Annette who I forward your postings to)