Wednesday, August 29, 2007

VJ's First Day of School

VJ has been beside himself with excitement at the thought of starting school. Today could not get here fast enough. He has been talking about his "boys" and all the fun they will have for the past 2 weeks.


Well today was the day. He is always good waking up in the morning (not so much at nap time, but we'll not discuss that) but he was especially chipper this morning.
VJ: "Today I go to school! Hurrah!"

After breakfast the kids were feeling bad for me:
Katie: "You will be all alone today."
VJ: "You will have to eat lunch by yourself."
Katie: "Who will you yell at?"

Yes, I wanted to cry. But the tears would be TEARS OF JOY! But I'll get back to me.

We dropped Katie off first and then on down the block to VJ's school. He went right up to his cubby (that he picked out during orientation last Friday), sat right down and let me change his shoes (the schools over here are big on having separate indoor vs. outdoor shoes). I turned around and he was already in the room. Once I caught up he already had a helicopter out and was playing with one of the teachers and another kid.

Me: "VJ, do you need Daddy to stay a while or are you OK for me to leave?"
VJ: "I'm OK. Bye Daddy."

I actually felt a little guilty on the drive home. Did I leave too soon? What if he gets upset after I leave? Then I realized that this was one of only a handful of times that I had been by myself since we moved over here and I decided that moments like this are why God created cell phones and that the school could call me if there was a problem.

Apparently I worried for nothing since VJ had a great time at school.

Me: "VJ what did you do in school today?
VJ: "I played inside and had a snack and played outside and took a nap."

That's actually more detailed info than we can drag out of Katie about her day.
He is very much looking forward to going back tomorrow.


Everyone asks me what I'm going to do with my day. Won't I be bored? Guess what, I'll take that chance.

I had two main things to do today: Jack and Shit. That's right, Jack Shit.

Mission Accomplished.

Today I sat on the couch and watched "Aliens" and then read my book. That's it. OK, I actually put the clean laundry away, but since it had been sitting (folded) in the laundry baskets since Sunday, that is more like catching up on earlier work rather than doing today's work.

Tomorrow I will treat myself by going to the grocery store BY MYSELF. Grocery shopping sucks in the base case and does not improve when you add small kids to the mix.

5 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

So now that you've made it clear that you are living a complete life of leisure, we'll be expecting daily blog posts.

Boy are you going to be in for a rude awakening when this whole expat life is over and you have to get a job again.

Mom Price said...

I appreciate your comment about grocery shopping alone. It is a blessing when you can get it. As for doing J... S... I wouldn't tell Anna if I were you. I bet she has a Honeydo list just waiting for you. VJ looks very happy at his school.

Vito said...

You're way off Mom. When I told Anna about my "Day Off" she said "Good for you!"

LMU: No one wants to read daily posts about me cleaning the toilets, floors and doing 6 loads of laundry.

Furthermore, my other job is to make sure that I can continue this work even AFTER we return to the good ole US of A.

Lisa Marie said...

Oh, could you be a little more full of s***? You are not cleaning toilets and floors every day. My guess is toilets once every two weeks and floors maybe once a month. I bet the mouse gets more mileage than the mop.

Vito said...

No Shit, Sherlock. I was giving an example of what I did on Wed. I'm glad you think I sit around all day...wish it was true.