Monday, November 24, 2008

Savings Bond Fun

Being long distance grandparents my Mom & Dad can't always be there to share the holidays...to give too much candy for Halloween or hide eggs at Easter. They do however send a card with a Saving Bond in it to mark the occasion.

The kids have come to really look forward to each new Saving Bond and it was with much joy and anticipation that they opened their Halloween cards this year. They were so excited that they could not wait to go and play with their Savings Bonds so off to the park we went.

Katie and Vito took their Bonds on the swings first.

Then for a ride on the See-Saw.

Katie and her Bond had fun spinning around...

...while Vito gave his a ride in his truck.
Then it was time for a slide.

They had a great afternoon.



I know you're going "huh?" Here's the explanation. A while back, when we still lived in Texas, I saw this commercial for Toys 'R Us about a kid playing with his Rain Check. It was hysterical. Then a few days later my Mom asked if the kids had gotten their savings bonds and I said something like "Yes, they are playing outside with them."

My Mom doesn't usually get angry at me. At my Dad and my Brother, yes, but not usually at me. But boy did she get pissed. I had to quickly explain about the funny commercial and she calmed down but still didn't really see the humor.

That was then. But I think about it every time the kids get a bond from them. And this time, when Katie opened her card, she held up the bond and said "I always get one of these pieces of paper." I just died laughing and had to take these pictures.

I hope your laughing at this Mom because we love the Savings Bonds and I know that Katie and Vito Jr. will appreciate them when they get older. Just as much as I did mine (how do you think I paid for Anna's engagement ring?)

2 comments:

cousin Kathy said...

Vito--hi its your cousin Kathy. I have been reading your blog for quite awhile ,but never tried to figure out how to leave a comment.until today--it was easy. I have got to tell you I LOVE reading what you write--always laugh hysterically! I look forward to reading everything you write. I wish you would write more. Hope to see you when you come back to visit.

Renée said...

OMG, I'm dying laughing!! My daughter also gets those fun savings bonds papers from grandma and grandpa, so I can totally relate!