Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Misc

I laughed at today's For Better or For Worse Comic Strip. Specifically this part:

That is SO not how things work in our house. In our house I would say something like "Hey! Work it out amongst yourselves or I will take. It. Away."

Needless to say, I don't get called on to referee that often.


*******

We say Grace every night before dinner. Nothing fancy, just the standard "Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts..." etc. But you have to really watch VJ. If he thinks we are not paying attention he'll just sit there until we're done, hands clasped but mouth not moving. When that happens we make him say it over all by himself (we're mean like that).

A week or so ago when Anna was in Brussels, VJ chose not to participate in saying Grace. So when Katie & I finished I told him:

Me: "VJ, since you didn't participate, you have to do it by yourself. So go ahead, say Grace."
VJ: without missing a beat "Grace."

Oh my God, I almost bust out laughing. It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

I'm pretty sure it was a legitimate misunderstanding of the instructions I gave him and that he was not intentionally mocking me. If I recall correctly from my experience with Katie, the intentional mocking doesn't start until around age 5.

*******
The Waffles Incident

So I've gotten better at cooking. I'm still not terrific, but hey, it's been a year and no one has starved yet. But this weekend I did have some problems.

During the week we eat cold cereal for breakfast. But on the weekend we cook real breakfast food. The 2 days/weekend, 2 kids in the house situation works out well since VJ always wants scrambled eggs and Katie always wants waffles. The problem is that Anna cooked eggs on Saturday and then left for Thailand Saturday evening, leaving me to make waffles on Sunday. Which I've only done one time before. With Anna's supervision. And I didn'twrite down the recipe.

That's right, I said recipe. There is no box of pancake/waffle mix over here. It's make it from scratch time. I remember thinking the first time that it was a pretty easy recipe. I liked it because it had a lot of "2's" in it:
2 cups of flour
2 eggs
2 cups of milk
2 packages of Sütópor (that's Hungarian for Baking Powder. Or may be Baking Soda. I don't really know which but it's the orange packet in the cabinet and not the green one in the fridge.)
?? cups of oil

Now I remembered that it was not 2 cups of oil and that it was less. But I wasn't sure how much less. So I went with 1 cup.

As I poured it in, I knew it was wrong. Way too much. When I told Anna the story later she said "So you had to start all over, right?" Of course not, but for two good reasons. I didn't really have enough flour to start all over and even if I did, I still didn't know how much oil to use other than "less that 1 cup".

I considered just chucking it and making eggs/french toast but having already promised Katie waffles I decided to persevere and hope for the best. I added whatever flour was left (a little over a cup) and added another cup of milk and an egg and another package of Baking Whatever Powder. I now had enough batter to make Waffles for my whole extended family but whatever.

To top it all off, I was still thinking about the ingredients and not paying attention to which scooper I was using when I poured the first round of batter on to the Waffle Maker and poured WAY too much and got to watch it spew out all over the counter once I closed the damn thing's lid.

All-in-all not one of my prouder culinary moments. The waffles came out..."OK" I would say. They were some what crunchier than normal and I could taste the "extra" oil. VJ ate as much as he ever does (which is to say not much) while wondering out loud why we couldn't have eggs instead. Katie said that they were good and was happy which was the point of the exercise so we're going to mark this one down as a win.

I'd like to close with this observation: This all could have been avoided if Anna had made waffles on Saturday LIKE I SPECIFICALLY ASKED HER TO BECAUSE I KNEW THIS SHIT WOULD HAPPEN. I'm just saying.

BTW, I'm told it's supposed to be 1/3 cup of oil.

2 comments:

Grampa said...

Hurry home mommy. See thats what you get what you get for not taking cooking classes in college. My poor grandchildren, I hope they dont starve. As far as VJ goes he did what you told him to do. He is funny.

Love and Miss you
dad,mom,uncle frankie and murphy

Lisa Marie said...

Dude, you need a care package with a big old box of Bisquick. Unfortunately, postage is too expensive and I'm unemployed, so I won't be sending it.