Monday, February 11, 2008

International Week

International Week at Katie's school started today. The week focuses on the various cultures, customs, etc. from all the countries represented by the students at AISB.

The kickoff was the parade today. The kids and teachers marched into the gym under their country's flag à la the Olympics. They were encouraged to wear outfits representative of their country; either traditional outfits or their country's colors. I was very impressed at the level of participation and really enjoyed the morning.

Monica Lehner, Katie's 1st Grade Teacher, was the lone representative of Austria.

That's Katie's friend Anya with the "Russia" sign.

Katie and her classmate Annie.

Lots from the Good Ol' USA.

I got pictures of every country EXCEPT Belgium (just missed him) and Pakistan (came out too blurry, even by my crappy photography standards). They are on our Kodak Gallery Homepage and definitely worth checking out.

One funny thing I wanted to share. Each country has their own table (located in the halls all over the school) with items/artifacts that are supposedly representative of that country's culture, history, etc. The USA table is right outside Katie's classroom and she was looking it over when I arrived to pick her up today. Someone had brought in a bag of Oreo's for our table, so Katie had this question:

Katie: "Are Oreo's a traditional food of America, Daddy?"

I wasn't sure how to answer that. I mean, they're not exactly as All-American as Apple Pie, but I know I had way more Oreo's growing up than Apple Pies (I had the 13 cavities -no exaggeration- from post-freshman year to prove it)!

0 comments: