Friday, October 26, 2007

Congressman McNulty

I happened upon this article in the Times Union about how Congressman McNulty will not be running for reelection. It got me thinking about the time I met Congressman McNulty:

It was my 1st or 2nd year at RPI and my Dad made me asked me to go with him to a fund raiser for the Congressman. You know...pay 10 bucks (per person)...have a hotdog...shake the Congressman's hand. My Dad gave me the money and asked me to write the check. It was very important to my Dad that the payment come from my checking account.

So the big day arrives and we go over to the VFW (or whatever) Hall in Green Island. After Congressman McNulty arrived we got in line to shake his hand and get our picture taken with him. Finally the big moment had arrived.
My Dad: "Congressman I'd like you to meet my son, Vito."
Congressman McNulty: "Nice to meet you Peter."

That was 1 hour of my life that I would never get back, but whatever.

Flash forward 5 months. At the time, I did not write too many checks...I only had like 2 monthly bills + BMG Music Club...most of my checking account activity involved ATM withdrawals. I took out my last $20 bucks on a Wed (leaving a balance of like $2) but no worries since my bills were paid earlier in the month and I got paid on Friday, right?

That Friday, along with my paycheck I received 2 notices from my bank regarding a $20 check that they did not pay due to insufficient funds. I remember being puzzled...what had I written a $20 check for...nothing recently...Oh Shit!

Needless to say my Dad was not happy, my Mom thought it was hysterical and I felt that the Congressman got what he deserved for holding on to my check for so many months.

The silver lining is that my Father never asked me to go to anymore political events.

0 comments: