Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wore Out Our Welcome?

While I know that my parents will be sad to see us go back to Budapest tomorrow I know that a small part will be happy to see the backside of us. More specifically, my kids exhaust my parents.

My Dad has complained that this is not how grandparenting should be.
Grandpa: "Have you ever tried to cram a year's worth of Grandparenting into 3 weeks? This is not right. They should come over for dinner, stay for a couple of hours and then GO HOME. Maybe twice a week. I'm so F%&king tired."

I will say in all honesty that while I'm here I do the least amount of work possible. In the two weeks that I've been here, I've only had to bathe them once and I have not read a bedtime story in almost one month. I did have to "make" them breakfast almost every morning but pouring Froot Loops is not too difficult (my Mom has been working half days in the AM). Thanks to my parents for making these last two weeks in New York wicked fun.

On Thursday my Dad actually got annoyed with the Froot Loops for breakfast and made the kids Breakfast. I give him points for effort but it was like a scene out of a sitcom. He couldn't find the proper pans and utensils, he tried to use the stove burner that didn't work and took him 5 minutes to figure that out (including the call to my Mom at work to see if she knew about the burner problem), 5 more minutes to figure out why the toaster wasn't working...was it broke too...nope just not plugged in. I opted for a donut and read the paper while I laughed and enjoyed the show. On Friday he just took us out to Friendly's for breakfast.

We had a great time in Troy. My brother took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese twice (bonus for me...I only had to go one time), we went swimming at a friend's house, had some ice cream at Snowman's, visited lots of friends, made the rounds to our favorite restaurants and had two birthday parties. My cousin Madison turned 7 and my brother Frankie turned 22.

That reminds me, my Brother just bought his first house last month. Let me say that again: 21 years old and bought a house. When I was 21 I was happy enough just to be able to buy my own beer. Congrats Frankie!

Swimming Fun

Happy Birthday Uncle Frankie!

Happy Birthday Madison!

Good times with Good Great Awesome Friends. Special Thanks to Don Mooney and Velvet Kopach for basically never seeing their spouses before midnight almost every night.
One quick note: Going to get the Harry Potter book at midnight is infinitely more fun when you are working on your 2nd case of Budlight long necks.

Dan "Captain America" Kopach
Danny Brown, Donna & Billy Meyring (in from Boston just to visit) and "Aunt" Toni

Annette Mooney, the Hostess with the Mostest. Thanks for making brownies EVERY night.

2 comments:

Mom Price said...

Just tell Grandpa that he now has several(?) months to recover. I hope that you (Vito) have had a good vacation and can return to your "job" with renewed energy and love.

Lisa Marie said...

You notice Anna hasn't commented, but I bet she enjoyed her vacation from childcare (Vito included in the list of children) just as much as anyone. But I'm sure she missed you just a smidge.